Here are some Modeling Industry Websites that we DO recommend, as well as some Modeling Industry Websites that we do NOT recommend. Yes, we know we are going to piss some people off by putting them on blast, but there are WAY too many modeling scams out there, and we want to shed light on both the legitimate and the shady. #SorryNotSorry
In addition to modeling industry websites, we have also included websites for the Entertainment Industry as a whole, as we realize many aspiring / working models also wish to delve into Acting, Hosting, Singing, and Dancing.
Entertainment Industry Websites that are legit (we DO recommend):
- CastingNetworks.com – Legitimate casting website featuring Casting Calls for television (scripted, non-scripted, and reality TV), movies, background actors, photoshoots, music videos, hosting gigs, infomercials, and more. Many in the entertainment industry can benefit from a membership: models, actors, dancers, stand-in’s/body doubles, singers, future reality TV stars, etc. You DO need to pay to join; I believe the membership fee is a flat rate of $25, which is valid for 1 year of membership. If you have a decent portfolio / headshots, it can be a fairly useful way to book some paid work, especially if you live in a major city/market (LA, NY, SF, Atlanta, etc)!
- Backstage.com – Another legitimate casting website. This one caters much more specifically to the Actor and Performer, whereas Casting Networks is more of a mixed bag. Membership here will cost you a monthly fee. (We didn’t make the rules, we just report them.) However we also know many, many people in the industry who have booked awesome, well-paid gigs from Backstage. Note -if you are strictly a model with no interest in film/TV gigs, you won’t get as much use (or work) from Backstage as the websites previously mentioned.
NOTE: While we realize that these sites listed above require paid membership, we are not receiving any sort of endorsement or financial incentive to post about them. These are simply the leading, industry-recognized casting websites, that are legitimate and happen to charge a fee for their services.
Modeling Industry Websites that are considered “Legit”:
- ModelAlliance.com – To quote them, Model Alliance is “A labor advocacy group for models working in the fashion industry. Together, we can improve our industry.” What’s not to love about that?! Check out their website and join the movement.
- Models.com – Modeling news, networking, database of photogs/agencies/fashion brands, etc. Useful, good clean website.
Modeling Industry Websites that are considered “Legit”, yet proceed with caution:
- ModelMayhem.com – The modeling industry’s leading networking website. Here, you may upload your portfolio, connect with photographers looking to help you build your portfolio, or to hire you for paying jobs. You may also connect with makeup artists, hairstylists, photo editors, and more. There are casting calls, a forum, and a generally supportive community. Check the casting calls frequently (we advise daily). There are some great opportunities to be found in the bigger cities: well-paying modeling jobs with legit companies and brands.
Common sense advice from ModelMentors: YOU MUST USE YOUR DISCRETION! Just because this is a reputable WEBSITE, does not mean that every member is a reputable PERSON. There are absolutely bad apples on this website, preying on innocent and naive victims. You MUST keep your safety in mind at all times; as a priority over anything else. Do your research, ask for referrals, bring an escort if meeting someone for the first time, or hell, bring an escort every time… PLEASE be smart, and please stay safe. Do not take chances. Email us if you have any questions whatsoever regarding safety/scams/etc.
- OneModelPlace.com – Real talk, it is 2017 and this site is outdated and much less relevant / useful than it was years ago. Honestly, it will likely be obsolete in a few years. However, it is useful enough to at least MENTION, if you want to explore all of your options. This is a modeling industry website in the vein of ModelMayhem (networking), but on a much smaller scale. Your best use of this site would probably be to check out the Casting Calls, get your name/portfolio seen by a few new people who otherwise wouldn’t, aaaaaaand that’s about it.
PLEASE refer to common sense advice above (in ModelMayhem writeup!) You MUST look out for your own safety. This is your absolute responsibility and duty to yourself. Again, email us at any time with questions regarding safety, scams, etc)
Modeling Industry Websites that we do NOT recommend:
- NewFaces (.com) – Not Recommended. Just read the reviews online. Sadly, many years ago, it may have been legit. But that seems to have changed. Perhaps they switched owners? In either case, we can not recommend this website.
- StarNow (.com) – Not Recommended. There are MUCH better websites to find casting calls.
Do you have any other modeling industry websites or entertainment industry websites to add to this list? How about any scam modeling websites or scam casting websites that you have encountered? Leave us a comment below!!! Also check out more Modeling Resources here!