Model diet tricks to jumpstart your journey on the runway…. or simply a leaner version of YOU! It’s no secret that dieting sucks, but these 45 skinny snack foods are sure to help (plus they actually taste good). No need to starve yourself, simply replace your junky snack foods with better options! We take a cue from the professional models who have their diet and bodies on-point. Models are a testament to dedication, fitness, and #cleaneating, no matter how you look at it. So what snacks do models eat? And how do they maintain such a squeaky clean ‘model diet’ and not go insane?! Is the stereotype that models only get to eat half of a rice cake for dinner actually accurate? (Answer: NO) So by now you are surely curious- what do models eat to stay skinny, then? Or you may just be wondering about the best snacks to lose weight with- model or not! Well, you’re in luck…
We have compiled a list of tasty treats meant to replace your typical snack foods (chips, donuts, pretzels, soda, processed food, etc). Some of these require slight ‘snack prepping’ – but you will thank yourself the next day! Just grab and go – when hunger hits, turn to these skinny snack options instead. With that ‘supermodel body’ in mind, here are some snacks models eat. Presenting the first in our series of model diet tricks:
Model Diet Tricks- 45 Skinny Snack Foods to lose weight
- Plain, air-popped popcorn + salt/pepper, small drizzle of truffle oil. (Popcorn is low-calorie, high-fiber, and packed with antioxidants, believe it or not!)
- Yogurt-dipped strawberries (roll berries in plain Greek yogurt, freeze, enjoy)
- Hard-Boiled Eggs + salt/pepper/paprika, small drizzle of flavored olive oil (warmed up), or a dash of hot sauce
- Apple slices + small serving (2 tbsp) almond butter, hazelnut butter, peanut butter (make sure peanuts are only ingredient). Skip the Nutella, unless using as an occasional reward. Heidi Klum offers Nutella as one of her model diet tips, but surely she’s not downing a jar of it at a time- likely in moderation as a special treat. While nut butters do contain fat, they are healthy fats. Nut butters also produce a feeling of satiety, which keeps you fuller longer- thus offsetting calories by eating less.
- Carrots + cherry tomatoes + broccoli ‘dippers’, served with side of avocado dip or hummus. Supermodel Lindsay Ellingson loves to snack on hummus made with sunflower seeds.
- Homemade baked apple chips + cinnamon
- Cucumbers + Tajin seasoning (the cool cucumbers + heat from Tajin= refreshing combo)
- Chickpeas – oven-roasted & spiced with your seasoning of choice. Supermodel Molly Sims snacks on chickpeas, and has shared the recipe she uses!
- Mini bell peppers + guacamole or tzatziki sauce (made with plain Greek yogurt)
- Tropical Trail Mix (here is an easy, healthy recipe from ModelMeals)
- Kale chips – super easy to make on your own & lots of fun ways to jazz them up (even though they are great plain with just a dash of salt/pepper). Pinterest has tons of recipes to check out!
- Almonds – oven-toasted & spiced with your seasoning of choice. Check out this Spicy Almond recipe from model Milou Gort.
- Fresh berries + plain Greek yogurt
- Celery sticks + almond butter or peanut butter (see ‘nut-butter’ note from snack food #4)
- Egg white muffins with spinach + mushrooms (here is an easy recipe from fitness model Bree Hunter)
- Spiced pumpkin seeds – oven-toasted & spiced with your seasoning of choice
- Frozen fruit salad – create your own combination of flavors using seasonal fruit. Victoria’s Secret model Elsa Hosk loves to snack on her own combination of grapes, strawberries, and lime juice. She lets the fruit salad sit in the freezer for 20 minutes before an enjoying, for an ultra-refreshing snack.
- Homemade sweet potato fries
- Gluten-free pancakes + fruit. Supermodel Karlie Kloss has shared her 3-ingredient pancakes, which consist of 1 egg, 1 banana, and a handful of gluten-free oats. Sprinkle with cinnamon and top with fruit for a healthy, guilt-free version of pancakes! Now that’s a fun model diet trick!
- Green smoothie – supermodel Gigi Hadid is a big fan of including these in her modeling diet as a quick snack/pick-me-up
- Ground turkey meatballs (make sure to use lean turkey). Check out this recipe from The Bikini Model Cookbook
- Frozen cotton candy grapes – sounds crazy if you’ve never heard of them, but a new variety of grape has cropped up…. and yes, they taste just like cotton candy. Note: cotton candy grapes are seasonal, but regular frozen grapes will do the trick as well!
- Larabars – these bars are gluten-free, all-natural, no added sugar… not to mention they have super YUMMY flavors. They are also a favorite snack of supermodel Lily Aldrige.
- Sardines + mustard + lemon juice + salt/pepper. Eat ’em straight out of the can, or make a lettuce wrap. And don’t knock sardines til you’ve tried them! These things are packed with protein and omega 3’s, and truly are a great ‘weight-loss’ snack food. Men’s Health cover model Gregg Avedon lists sardines as one of his diet tricks. See? Give sardines a chance!
- Oven-dried strawberry “candy” (bake sliced strawberries on cookie sheet for 3 hours @ 200 degrees)
- Broccoli tots – these things seriously taste just as good as tater tots! You may be able to find them at the store (in the freezer aisle), but we are NOT recommending that version as a snack. We are recommending homemade broccoli tots! They are easy to make; here is a recipe from BeachBody on Demand.
- Dill pickle spears, sliced into ‘chips’ + hummus for dipping
- Green smoothie popsicles (make a green smoothie, freeze in popsicle mold with a wooden stick, enjoy!) This snack is obviously not portable, but is great to have on-hand for whenever a snack-attack hits at home. Perhaps green-smoothie-loving supermodel Gigi Hadid should add this one to her model diet tricks!
- Sliced, all-natural deli turkey + cucumber + cheese + lettuce rollup
- Homemade baked Zucchini chips + small amount parmesan cheese
- Pineapple chunks + lime juice + Tajin seasoning
- Homemade tuna salad (use plain greek yogurt or fat-free mayo) + mix in some celery/pickles/apples or whatever else floats your boat. Eat tuna salad on cucumber slices or celery sticks. Model Chrissy Teigen loves to snack on tuna salad; she pefers it mostly plain, but with lots of dijon mustard.
- Oven-roasted cauliflower bites + pesto (optional). There are tons of recipes and variations for roasted cauliflower. No matter which you choose, it’s beyond easy to make. Check Pinterest for some ideas!
- Deviled eggs + crumbled turkey bacon + hot sauce
- Quinoa Turkey Burger patties – these are portable, healthy, and satisfying. Here is a recipe from TheModelAdvocate
- Sautéed shishito peppers + flaked sea salt/pepper
- Chicken of the Sea Smoked Salmon Pouch (plain) + fresh lemon juice, fat-free mayo, salt/pepper. They also have a few flavors you can choose from, like Lemon Pepper and Sriracha.
- Fresh melon (cantaloupe, honeydew, grapefruit) + plain greek yogurt + small drizzle honey. Or you could try your melon with a dash of hot sauce!
- Homemade Turkey Jerky (you can make this at home, with or without a dehydrator. Your oven works just as well!)
- Edamame + sea salt + crushed red pepper. Sports Illustrated model Danielle Herrington snacks on edamame with Sriracha sauce!
- Sweet Potato and Chicken Patties – this healthy snack can help use up leftover chicken! Here is a recipe from FitMenCook.com
- Cottage cheese + fruit (bananas, pineapples, berries all mix well). Fitness model Jaime Eason likes to snack on cottage cheese topped with cinnamon and sliced almonds!
- Handful of black olives, green olives, or kalamata olives. You can even stuff the olives with garlic cloves if you are feeling extra fancy.
- Pear or apple slices + 1 string cheese (reduced fat)
- Frozen chocolate banana bites- slice a banana, dip half of each slice in melted dark chocolate, freeze, enjoy! P.S.- dark chocolate is healthy in moderation. Full of antioxidants, high-fiber, and low-carb. But again – it’s all about moderation.
SUMMING IT ALL UP
As you can see, there are many skinny snack food options that contain REAL FOOD and taste delicious. Processed food is garbage; so take the trash out and put the healthy stuff IN! One last suggestion – if you are going to be heading to a photoshoot, a casting call, a long day of filming on set, etc- your life will be SO much easier if you ‘snack prep’ the night before, and grab the snacks on your way out the door in the morning. A hungry model without options (because she forgot to pack them)- is likely a hungry model that is going to eat whatever the hell snacks she is provided (charming offerings such as muffins, granola bars, cookies, potato chips, Subway sandwiches, etc).
We recommend investing in a few meal prep containers if you don’t already have them. We personally just bought these glass meal prep containers for ourselves and LOVE them because 1) BPA-free/microwaveable/dishwasher safe, 2) comes in a 3-pack, and #3) the 3 compartments allow for creativity and variety with your snacking options! It’s fun to create your snacks for the day with these and look forward to them later. Here is the link (and yes this is totally an Amazon affiliate link, but we legit bought these on our own/love them), which is why we are recommending these glass meal prep containers!
So there you have it – 45 skinny snacks to help you achieve that supermodel body! Loved these model diet tricks? Don’t worry, we will have more articles and content on the subject soon, so make sure to subscribe to our free newsletter to keep updated! (Link at top of page). And don’t forget we have much more modeling advice here. If you found this post valuable, or you know someone who will, PLEASE like and share! Thank you!
WRITTEN BY AND COPYRIGHT MODELMENTORS.COM